Thursday, August 18, 2011

Witchhazel

Name:
*Witchhazel (Hamamelis virginiana)

Description:
*this is a hardy tree that grows 8-10 feet high

I need to do more research on Witchhazel at this time. For example, I need to figure out if I should grow this tree in my yard. If it is difficult to gather the important medicinal parts of this tree on my own, I will probably just buy dried Witchhazel from appropriate organic herbal stores.

However, it is important to know the medicinal value of this tree:

Medicinal:
*It is soothing and anti-inflammatory and is thus often used topically for many skin and vascular problems
*It is often prescribed for diarrhea
*It can stop bleeding, and is often prescribed for people with heavy menstrual bleeding
*You can apply a distilled extract externally for healing bruises, sprains, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, and insect bites

For more information, see: references and warnings

No comments:

Post a Comment