Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hawthorn

Name:
*Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)

Description:
*A tree
*Often used to make a pretty hedge: has white flowers followed by red berries
*Grows rapidly once established
*Can grow up to 30 feet tall

Maintenance:
*Plant young shrubs from autumn to early spring, protect with tree sleeves
*Loves an open, sunny position but thrives in semi-shade as well

I need to do more research on how to take care of hawthorn trees. I will do this later in life, after I move somewhere that I have a larger yard for planting trees...

In the meantime, I will probably buy the hawthorn berries that I need for medicinal purposes from a proper herbal store.

Medicinally:
*Used to treat circulatory disorders and heart diseases
*It is one of the most important cardiovascular remedies: it helps with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, irregular heartbeat, heart failure, and angina.
*It also helps with depression, especially for those people who suppress their feelings or have anxiety

For more information, see: references and warnings

 
The white hawthorn flowers







The red hawthorn berries


No comments:

Post a Comment